Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The otterman.

This is a funny story. Every Dutch drawer that ever was on a comic convention to sign his new book knows him. Is he a teacher? Is he a stalker? No. It's Otterman. The guy is in between 50 and 60 years old and has a beard. If I remember correct. Not so long ago it was my turn. I did'nt know all this yet. He comes to your table and tells you the following story. He is a teacher and as a school-project he is working on a collection of otter-pictures. By the end of the year a book will come out and all the profits will go to projects that protect the otter. Kind as I am I said I could not draw an otter without at least a little documentation and I promised him I would do one at home. He gave me an adres and I kept my promis. Here's the illustration. I send it to him as a digital document. Never heard from him since. Later on when I told this story to other comic artists many of them had met him. The guy probably has a big collection by now. I wish him joy of it. He must be a big otterfan.
Nothing is done for nothing. I put the drawing in my portfolio and some new jobs came up because of it.
Thank you otterman.

3 comments:

Queen Tut said...

Hi Paul, lovely otter, very energetic image!
I had a otterman contact me out of the blue by email. He spun me a great story about needing an illo for a character in a childrens book, in which the otter ran the Jolly Otter Space Bar. I loved the idea and also sent a digital file, therefater I did not hear another word from him. I wonder if its the same guy? My otter is on my blog in November archive.

Queen Tut said...

Oops, I see you first name is not Paul. Blush.

McDonnellDoodles said...

Wow, the Otterman really lucked out here! This is a delightful illustration. Your style is so fresh and lively. Thanks for stopping by and posting on my blog!