Wednesday, January 25, 2006

illustrationfriday.com

This weeks topic: CATS. I'm a catfan. Wish to come back as one after death. Quote Iwan Fox:"You know the way they maaaauw to go in or out when the door is closed? It's not that they want to go in or out. It's just control of the door".

I love that in a cat. One of my comic-characters is a cat. Ploes is her name. What beter occasion than illustration friday (click the title of this post) to tell you more about her. Some pictures from development.

I am looking for a lady. And in her final version she will be a costume for a tv-show. But at first I start to just draw cats. No direction, not a certain character, just catfun.



Male



and female.



I did a 3d version with my gum-eraser



and some drawings following those photographs.



I went on to a more female approach.



What would she sit on?



How would an actress fit in the costume?



A statue was made. Nothing is a better help to explore the character than having a statue as a model to draw from.
It was done by Sebastiaan L'Ortye. A talented artist. And it's about 25 cm high.



We even did a test for the color. Kids were asked to pick a favorit. And we gave them the craziest of choices. 90 % of all girls wanted a dark-pink cat. We couldn't ignore the outcome.



I did'nt mind. Pink was my favorit all the time. I even did a sketch for her place to sleep long befor we even started to think about the color of the characters. It never made the show. Way over budget.



In the invitation for the first presentation the characters did not have color yet. The date for the presentation was set but we did not know what color the characters were going to be. Guess it's the way things go.



And here's the lady. Funny story. This was the first time I met my own character in full size. I hugged her and rubbed her belly a bit. Like I would have done with a real cat. At the same moment I realised there was a girl inside the costume.... that I did'nt even know. OEPS!!

8 comments:

Tony Sarrecchia said...

Great series of cats. Nice job.

Anonymous said...

WOW cats galore! Wonderful work :)

Anonymous said...

wonderful ! Great blog! Love the way you work your designs!!

Anonymous said...

What a great story to go along with all these wonderful illustrations. :) I love the gum eraser sculpture. And I just had to laugh when I read you ran up to a strange lady in your cat costume and rubbed her belly. lol

Ellen said...

"Cat-a-strophic!!"

Boris Hiestand said...

Leuke katjes! Ik heb dus weer een puike nederlandse tekenblog ontdekt. Keep it up!

Queen Tut said...

These are terrific! I will ahev to come back for more!!

Uta Ritke said...

WOW! These are all adorable. Wonderful work. ;)